Wednesday, May 12, 2010

I Love When That Happens!


Today's mailbox found both a box from Old Glory and a package from Spencer Smith Miniatures...metal in the mailbox is always a good thing! SO...in addition to getting my summer Interwar project off to a good start, I'm also am able to indulge my classic wargaming proclivities with my first ever unit of 30mm Spencer Smiths!

It was a great moment today here at the Lead Gardens, ...I, having never laid eyes on a Spencer Smith figure except in pictures for the past 35 years, and what with all that those images of massed 30mm goodness has done for wargaming in general,.... I, littlejohn, finally own a unit of them!!

It was a really interesting feeling opening up the package (arriving in really short time...thanks Peter!) ... and getting to see them for the first time...they were what I had imagined and more...beautiful proportions, "detailess" castings, and more slender and less flash than I had envisioned. So this evening I've thrown myself into cleaning them up (surprisingly less of that than I had imagined...) and tomorrow will be a fun day of painting for sure!

I'm thinking these guys will be painted up as the Gentleman Pensioners (Herrsoldaten) Regiment of the Konigreich der Bleiherzen....sort of an Old Guard, brave, seasoned, but much less inclined to come to blows, preferring instead to settle things with accurate volleys of musketry. We will see how the Grand Duchess deals with these grumbling old fellows in an upcoming battle! Huzza!

4 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

Congratulations, sir LittleJohn. But you failed to mention just what was in the Old Glory package . . . inquiring minds want to know.


-- Jeff

Capt Bill said...

Can wait to see your pensioners...

Mark Dudley said...

I recently painted some spencers myself. They are easy to paint and capture the old school feel very well.

Look forward to seeing the end results

Snickering Corpses said...

That's marvelous. Reminds me of my own feeling when my find of Spencer Smiths arrived. It makes you feel you've attached to a little piece of wargaming history, doesn't it?