Friday, January 30, 2009

The Green Mile

Now that my newly painted table has dried sufficiently, I spent a couple of pleasant hours just setting out figures and terrain to see how things would look...and surprise!, surprise!...eventually my entire collection of 18th century figures was on the table....

Perhaps if I get a few spare hours this weekend I might go ahead and fight this one out...I set things out based on a map I sketched up this past week for a battle that might logically follow the storyline after the forces of the Duchess defeated and pursued a Bleiherzener raiding force in the "small scenario" I recently posted...this one battle would center on the city of Königswald, a few miles over the border of Bleiherzen.

I really like the new green table surface....who knew that going "old school" could be so invigorating! Here are a few pics of the "set down" today: (...and please bear with me gentle readers, on the ofttimes blurry photography...I'm going to get it right eventually...I promise!)


...the Erbprinz Fusilier Regiment von Kluge in action again...


Austrian Artillery in the service of the Duchess


overview of the town of Konigswald and its Bleiherzen defenders...and, in the upper left distance, Grolstein Jagers hold "der Jagdhüttenberg"


Austrians massing (at top) outside the village of Gleissen...


Fuzilier Regiment von Kluge standing strong after its stalwart performance in "the small scenario"...the Duchess' Austrian "mercs" massing in the distance


Cavalry massed for battle...


Bleiherzener Musketeer Regiment von Pfhulstein...


Bleiherzen's Prussian allies marching up through the Konigswald town square...


Grolsteiner combined Grenz, Hungarian mercs. and cavalry brigade closing in from the north...


...more Prussians and Colonel Gerlach's Jagers in the distance defending the slopes in front of of the town of Oschlt.



Bleiherzen/Prussian cavalry



Near the village of Gleissen, the Duchess' Cuirassier Regiment 1 awaits its moment!

9 comments:

tradgardmastare said...

Inspiring photos - thanks for posting them. They have reminded me that i must buy more cavalry very soon...
Alan

WSTKS-FM Worldwide said...

Yes, I concur! Lovely photos of a lovely set-up. And your clock tower in the village is really cool too.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Bluebear Jeff said...

I concur with the previous comments . . . and you have a lot of very good-looking troops there.


-- Jeff

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Fantastic stuff - photo's are also OK - you just need a little more artificial light.. :o)

PS. My tip would also be to think about investing in a tripod?? Made a huge difference to my photo's - no flash, use a tripod, and take the picture using timer so that there's no shake at all... then have a play with Picasa the free photo imaging software - I swear by the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button! :o))

David Morfitt said...

Indeed, very inspiring shots with good troops and scenery - and, as Steve The Wargamer says, using a tripod will probably sort out those blur problems! :-)

David
http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

Capt Bill said...

Very nice work indeed!

littlejohn said...

Thanks Guys! I'll be digging my tripod out of storage tomorrow..up until now I'd been taking my battle pics with my iphone and those are notorious for fuzzy pictures and no real close up capabilities...so tomorrow I'm going to break out the big guns and get serious!

Fitz-Badger said...

Lovely minis and terrain! Very picturesque town, too!
Yes, good lighting and a non-hand-held camera using a timer are good tips. I use 2 Ott lights and recently got a flexipod tripod (has legs with multiple ball socket joints so it's flexible and can be positioned in various ways).

old-tidders said...

Nice collection of troops, looking really good on your new table.

-- Allan