Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Story So Far



After discovering Sash and Saber 40mm figures last spring and Clarence Harrison's Quindia website a few months ago I finally found the right figures, the right rules and the all important attitude towards the English Civil War period that would be inspirational enough for me to spend the time (and cash) to paint up two opposing armies. I've always found the ECW to be a really interesting period to game visually but never could settle on a set of rules. Clarence's beautiful website outlines a great approach to collecting armies for the period and I decided to dive in with both feet using his ideas and his free rules "Victory Without Quarter" as a guide.

Here are a few images of completed units so far.









5 comments:

old-tidders said...

Really nicely painted units.

The S&S cavalry looks reaaly nice -I find the S&S cavalry a bit expensive so I usually buy mine from Irregular Miniatures and indulge in some remodelling (usually changing the rider's heads to some from S&S).

looking forward to seeing your armies develop

-- Allan

littlejohn said...

Thanks for your comments Alan! You are my first reader.

Bluebear Jeff said...

While I don't yet have any ECW figures, we did fight a couple of battle using the "Victory without Quarter" rules.

They were good fun. I posted some photos and rule questions on my blog . . . and Clarence was kind enough to answer some of those questions in the Comments section.

The post of our first battle was on April 6, 2008 . . . and the second on April 10, 2008. Both can be found via the archives on my blog at:

http://saxe-bearstein.blogspot.com/

Furthermore, Murdock's background for the battle (we were setting it in 30YW era Eastern Europe) is posted on his blog on April 5, 2008 . . . and his account of the first battle (with LOTS of photos) is on April 11, 2008.

To see these, go to:

http://mieczyslaw.blogspot.com/

I hope that the above will be of use to you. I enjoyed both battles, but liked the second (using Clarence's corrections) better.


-- Jeff

littlejohn said...

Jeff ,

Actually reading about those battles got me in motion on The Project! So you guys are to blame for all the fun I'm having!

Dave

Bluebear Jeff said...

I hardly mind being responsible for people having fun . . . . The people I worry about are those who don't have any fun.

Enjoy away!


-- Jeff