Friday, May 20, 2011

20mm Colonials Progress

Between games of "Portable Wargame"...and writing up final comments to my design students...and putting more figures up FOR SALE on ebay...and deciding to limit my focus this summer to one project only...that being 20mm colonials....and other smaller annoyances this week... I managed to lay out a small skirmish with the colonials I have painted so far. I'll post the AAR this weekend, but until then I caught a few pics of a British punitive column moving through a hostile Pathan village on the North West Frontier circa 1877...

the buildings are those cheap cardboard boxes available here in the states at "Michaels" (see the conversions here). I'm finding it a fun challenge to "downscale" from my former 25/28mm colonial terrain using the terrain elements I already have.

I even unearthed a few steep rocky mountains...




...and the "green mile" still does good service as a table since most of my original sources speak of green verdant agricultural valleys crisscrossed with crops and villages flanked by rocky peaks with pine forests in between as typical NW Frontier terrain...

6 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

As you know, I'm also doing Colonials this year (although maybe not exclusively).

One of the ideas that I liked on the Major General's website (still down unfortunately) is the use of crumpled up (then flattened out again) ordinary brown wrapping paper. I've used it before and it works great . . . and it doesn't cost much at all . . . just tape the ends under the table.

So, if you want a non-green surface for a particular battle, keep that wrapping paper in mind.


-- Jeff

tradgardmastare said...

Spiffing colonial chaps indeed!

littlejohn said...

Jeff,
I REALLY mourn the loss of the Major General's Page...I think it was the best wargame site of all time...written with such great humor and style...and packed with great ideas..like the brown paper table surface...do hear if it will ever come back?

Bluebear Jeff said...

The author and webmaster say that it will. They have everything backed up.

The problem was apparently a web employee who really screwed up everything. I don't recall the details, but it sounded like a major (and possibly criminal) screw up.

But sadly it has not yet returned. And I agree with you. It certainly inspired me in many ways.

I look forward to following your blog. We've scheduled our first "learning game" for the end of this month (May 29) so everyone can learn "The Sword and the Flame" rules.

Here's a link to my plans for our "training game":

http://colonelhuds.blogspot.com/2011/04/training-game-some-thoughts.html


-- Jeff
http://colonelhuds.blogspot.com/

littlejohn said...

Thanks for the link Jeff, I just signed on to Follow. It somehow slipped past me that you had this colonial blog going...the campaign looks really fun.

A J said...

A very good set-up there. I'm another huge fan of the Major-General, and really look forward to the day his site is back up and running. Who knows, maybe there'll be some new material too?