Thursday, December 20, 2012

New Musketeers!

 Just finished a new company of 40mm Prince August Homecast...these fellows will do service as a unit of my Imaginations. I'm gradually scaling up my Imaginations collection to 40/42mm to fit in with my French and British so I'm taking my already named units and imaginary history and up-scaling them for my home-casting project.
finished unit with the miscast muskets ready for repair...
These castings are from the newest PA molds that came out last November. As always the PA casting is pretty easy except for some musket barrels that did not cast to the right length. So I used my flat toothpick fix that works really well for most PA musket sword casting repairs. It works as well as the round toothpick solution for wagon/gun wheels.
 I also did a few minor head modifications to get better three dimensionality and some more extensive mods to make a standing flag bearer...but the PA figures (particularly the artillery castings) do well as a base for unusual conversions.


The toothpick fix...super glue works as both the adhesive and as a way to seal the wooden toothpicks.

All painted up, the toothpicks are pretty convincing!

And as a unit, the fix is almost undetectable!

Ready for the field!

8 comments:

AlFront said...

Very fine fellows indeed! At least the fixes won't rust.

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Nice musket fixes! Did you try venting the molds?

Bluebear Jeff said...

Another fine-looking unit, sir. I look forward to seeing them on the tabletop.


-- Jeff

Archduke Piccolo said...

Those semi-rounds paint up really nicely - and I'm a sucker for bright uniforms. That is a very fine looking company.
Cheers,
Ion

tidders2 said...

nice work, like the toothpick fix

-- Allan

Corporal_Trim said...

Nice work, Littlejohn ! I do believe yours are the first example I've seen of them painted. Although for me the poses are so similar to the Rossbach Austrian musketeer mold PA51 that there's no point in ordering these.

Did you get the new lunging grenadier (arrghh, fire the sculptor !) and command figure molds ?

Good solution with the toothpicks. And I like the way you've transferred the artillery officer to the infantry.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

Superb... very fine/smart and pretty... if you can say pretty about such martial looking fellows!

littlejohn said...

@Corporal Trim,
Yes those PA poses can be a bit strange at times and often duplicating older molds. I'm planning on doing a modification of the advancing grenadier by adding a bearskin to get a something in the way of an Austrian style grenadier. I may try my hand at making a mold as well.

@ Ross,
Yes venting usually works for me but I think I was using poor quality metal from a mix of old figures that might have made it harder to cast properly. This casting business is quite a trial and error process for sure.