Friday, June 26, 2009

One Word..."Roadbed"...!



The Magic Material...

A few pics to help address a question that Fitz-Badger asked on the last post about my stone walls...I use a lot of HO scale cork model railroad roadbed for various building and terrain stuff here at the Leadgardens. It is really great stuff and comes in 3 foot lengths with a pre-cut 30 degree angle on one side that can be used in a variety of ways. In these pics you can see the material glued in a stack to make a quick earthen redoubt for 25mm figures. I also use it to make ruined walls inside the lift-off base of my buildings and I use two pieces glued back to back to make stone walls. I also use it for the banks of the river sections that show up in many of the posts. As you can tell I really love the stuff! It cuts and glues with ease is reasonable cheap and it also comes in N scale for those of you working in 15mm. As I mentioned previously it also makes great "dug in" markers for WWII Flames of War games. ( I'll post pics of that asap)


A redoubt made of HO cork roadbed...



a simple redoubt...but eventually I will fill in the back side for a more elaborate terrain section...


4 layers works well for 25mm scale...and it is cut in straight and angled sections to allow for a few different configurations


...In the background you can just make out an embrasure cut for a gun

I will eventually fill in the back side of the redoubt with either "Sculpey" or just fill it in with epoxy putty, but for now it serves au naturale...the unpainted cork makes a credible earth texture and works just fine for quick earthworks. I just place the sections on a cork surface to mark the extent of the fortification. Here are some pics of an assault on a redoubt to show the material in action...



A Grolstein horde overruns a Bleiherzen redoubt...


...and a few pics of stone walls made of unpainted cork roadbed glued back to back with drawn in stonework and a grey painted coping on top:



...and also as the ruined wall around the church in the above pic...

3 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

Ah, I've seen that material. Thanks for the info and the pics!
:-)

Bluebear Jeff said...

This looks like a very usable product. Thank you.


-- Jeff

old-tidders said...

Very useful modelling material.

I used to use cork floor tiles - these are now getting difficult find.

-- Allan